Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 2021 08:17:33 -0800
From:      Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org>
To:        marklmi@yahoo.com, Ulrich =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sp=F6rlein?= <uqs@freebsd.org>, Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@gmail.com>, freebsd-git <freebsd-git@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cgit, ages and chronological order

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 10:40:35AM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
S> Generally, sorting commits by committer timestamp will give the order
S> most people would expect. Unless some client has an unsynced clock, and
S> nothing can be done about that without a hypothetical smarter server and
S> client which support server-side rewriting of commits during push.

Don't agree with that. When you rebase or amend, original timestamp
doesn't change. A commit can sit for month in reviews & testing, can
morph to a quite different code and still preserve old timestamp.
Then it is finally pushed and most people (well, at least myself)
find the timestamp that arrived to official git quite misleading.

I already have had problems with that doing "eye bisecting" -
looking through history and searching for a commit that could
have caused a regression.

--
Gleb Smirnoff