Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 04:52:27 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        peter.lai@uconn.edu
Cc:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>, FreeBSD Security <security@FreeBSD.ORG>, deraadt@cvs.openbsd.org
Subject:   Re: [openssh-unix-announce] Re: Upcoming OpenSSH vulnerability (fwd)

The following is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message
created by Enigmail/Mozilla, following RFC 2440 and RFC 2015
--------------enigD77E41809FAD12F345453571

Peter C. Lai wrote:
> Is OpenSSH 3.3 now part of the base system? So are we phasing out
> ssh as part of the base system (since the answer to the first
> question is no, and therefore only the portable versions
> have privsep available)?

Well, the OpenSSH-Team does not and probably cannot support all those
releases floating around in various OSes, Linux-Distributions etc. They
do a reasonable job to make sure that people who run a supported release
(e.g. the current one) experience as few troubles as possible. It seems
like FreeBSD (thanks des!) will now try to provide its users with the
'latest and greatest' openssh-portable in the base system (which is
really cool, because that way, openssh-portable will get much more
thorough testing on the FreeBSD platform and fixes and experience from
that will be getting back to the OpenSSH developers), so maybe we'll be
able to be more relaxed about such unfortunate news in the future.

Regards,
--
Michael Nottebrock
"The circumstance ends uglily in the cruel result." - Babelfish

--------------enigD77E41809FAD12F345453571