Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:16:18 +0100
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Question for -doc team on 4.X > 5.X

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 03:33:17PM -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> Fellow -docers,
>
> I've been playing around with 5.X features vs 4.X features and have
> come to a conclusion that its going to be messy for us to just make
> notes where they differ in the following chapters:
>
> install
> kernelconfig
>
> and perhaps some others.  My idea is just rewriting these areas,
> which is very possible.  I've spoken about this to a few people
> so far and so far I've heard nothing but ``good, if its possible to
> complete'' however I'd rather get opinions from this list.  What
> does everyone think?

About install chapter, it is still possible to update it to cover 4.X
and 5.X without too much pain.  Rewriting it from zero could be a bit
overkill; even if 4.X is, for the moment, the "main" branch, we have
to think twice before starting a major rewriting of 4.X specific
parts.  I would rather see the birth/update of more arch-specific
sections (sparc64 etc.), and addition of new 5.X things that appear
in sysinstall.
There are not too much "new" things for a vanilla installation.  For
example ACPI is a new thing, however, at installation time, the user
does not really spend time on it.  ACPI has to be covered but with a
link to an important ACPI section/chapter.
I see many missing things in the installation part, for example,
people use to ask: "How many RAM I need to install FreeBSD?" etc.

For kernelconfig, what are the "big" differences between 4.X and 5.X,
the configuration file, right?  So what about a "The Configuration
File for FreeBSD 4.X" section and a "The Configuration File for
FreeBSD 5.X" one at first?  It will be more readable than current
situation and easier to write...

Well I sound like a "conservative" person sometimes :))

Marc