Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:51:21 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        "David S. Besade" <webmaster@machowto.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems Installing FreeBSD-PPC

Hi David

> Okay tried that new kernel in my setup and all. Thought you might like to
> know that I finally got DHCPD, TFTP and NFS all running off my Mac, properly
> it seems, the DHCPD is finally sending all the BOOTP info.

  Did you have to do much different than the posted instructions for
FreeBSD ?

> (the load comes up, says it can't find/load the kernel)
> I type (at the loader prompt)
>
> Load kernel/kernel.dc

  I should have mentioned that kernel.dc has to be renamed to 'kernel',
or the manual load command used as you did.

> mountroot> nfs
> Mounting root from nfs
> nfs_diskless: no interface
> Welp what next?

  Looks like the PCI ID for the 21143 eth chip isn't being matched
by the driver, so that has to be determined. Try a 'boot -v', and
hopefully you will see the PCI IDs of all devices go past and be
able to see the eth ID before it scrolls by.

  I might have some more detailed instructions tomorrow when I can
get to a test system and give you some expected text.

later,

Peter.