Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 20:47:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        xosphere <xosphere@slip.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with FreeBSD Install

On Sun, 21 Jan 1996, xosphere wrote:

> After doing a freebsd install (via ftp) where I dedicated my entire disk (a
> Seagate ST3243A), the system would not boot.

Did you try using the install floppy and giving the disk explicitly?  ie,
if your disk is the first IDE disk typing at the boot: prompt:

wd(0,a)/kernel

Or if it's IDE disk 2:

wd(1,a)/kernel

SCSI just replace wd with sd.

>I tried redoing the install
> and the install fails with an error 36 (cannot install root file system).

After unsuccessful FreeBSD installs I'd recommend using DOS FDISK and
deleting the entire FreeBSD slice to get rid of any leftovers.

> also tried to partition the disk with  DOS' FDisk and when I create the
> partition my machine hangs.  Any clue on how to help this!?!?!?!?!?

Now THAT I don't understand.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant