Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:15:41 +0000
From:      Peter McGarvey <pmcgarvey@vianetworks.co.uk>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is the technique described in this article do-able with  FreeBSD + ipf?

On Saturday 09 February 2002 05:53 am, Brett Glass wrote:
> http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201d/0201d.htm

IMHO a mad idea.  Interesting, but still mad.

Personally I've got an OpenBSD box running as a Packet Filtering Bridge.
I don't have any IPs bound to the bridged interfaces.  And I have
OpenBSD's PF filtering all traffic.  For all intents it is totally
transparent. Unless someone discovers a flaw in the TCP stack there is no
way to remotely own the box.  So it's just as secure as the halted Linux
box.

This also has the advantage of allowing me to log firewall traffic.

--
TTFN, FNORD

Peter McGarvey
System Administrator