Date:      Tue, 9 Oct 2001 00:46:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/31109: replace gif images w/ png ones due to patent license

Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
>
> >  This looks good to me.  Is there any reason not to convert all of our
> >  images to PNG?
>
> I have no reason, but I'll offer the next paragraph in case it matters
> to anyone (and in case you don't all know it already :<).
>
> >From what I've read (at trustworthy places like /.), the display of GIF
> images is explicitly permitted (without royalties) by the patent holder.
> It is only the sale of them or the sale of software that generates them
> (I forget which) which requires royalty payments.  (Meaning that you're
> free to display GIFs you make with properly-licensed software.)

does it mean that softwares such as ImageMagic, netpbm and co. are
properly-licensed ? frankly, I'm not really sure even after reading
this :

http://www.cloanto.com/users/mcb/19950127giflzw.html

make it short, only read the first paragraph of the "Post Scriptum"
chapter ;^)

Cyrille.
--
Cyrille Lefevre                 mailto:clefevre@citeweb.net