Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 11:42:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>, <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: recommended notebook for FreeBSD

i bought an hp800ct (the little mouse on a stick computer) for us$159 as a
'Buy It Now' and the floppy drive for us$29. i havent bought the cd
because i dont care :-). i could have probably bid for less, but the
hassle wasnt worth it.....

it's a cardbus pccard, not pcmcia, but 4.4-release is supposed to support
it in pcmcia compatiblity mode - i havent had the chance to try it yet
cause i need to do a bios upgrade.

i guess i am making 2 points:

1.ebay is great for used laptops if you buy from a good seller
"Asisforyou" (or As_is_for_you" i cant remember) is the guy i bought mine
from and he's well ranked.

2.i have lusted after the 800ct since they first came out and despite
being hmm...1997....2001 4 years old, it *still* meets my expectations!
fits in my bag, has enuf battery for the bus (2hours), doesnt weight too
much, and runs sawfish adequately ( and sawfish is scheme based, so we are
talking interpreted WM here! ). i think i'd like it even better when i
replace the 16M extra ram with the 64M so that i have 80M.

and, having paid less than us$200 for it, if something bad happens to it (
like i forget it on the bus or something :-) ) i wont have caused myself
financial ruin.

--

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life