Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 08:42:34 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Jason <kib@mediaone.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: no users i create can login

On 20-Dec-00 Jason wrote:
> It all started with multiple sendmail errors and apache permission errors
> and I don't know what caused this.  I thought reinstalling BSD then apache
> might help but in the process I seem to have made matters worse.  I am using
> 4.1.1-Release for i386.  Here are is the symtpoms of the problem...below is
> the history leading up to the situation.
>
> When I try to su to my account from root I get the following:
> su: /bin/tcsh: Permission denied
>
> When I try to logon from console I get the following:
> <date/time> <hostname> login: _secure_path: cannot stat
> /home/<user>/.login_conf: Permission denied
> <date/time> <hostname> login: _secure_path: cannot stat /etc/login.conf:
> Permission denied
> Cannot find root directory.
> <date/time> <hostname> login: LOGIN <user> REFUSED (ROOTDIR) ON TTY ttyv0
>
> Here are the events that led to my current situation:
> used /stand/sysinstall to do custom install on an already operating system
> with constant sendmail problems errrors messages (I dont even use sendmail).
> I thought I may have corrupted some conf file somewhere and didnt know how
> to find it.  I then reinstalled Apache after I backed up all existing files.
> This is when I noted my group www was no longer valid and I discovered all
> my users were no longer built even though the /usr/home/* were still there.
>
> I figured I had to recreate all the users and groups I need to operate as
> before.  So I began with my own account.  It seemed to add properly using
> adduser but the files in /usr/home/<myacct> was all assigned to the
> incorrect UID and GID.  I realized the GID and UID were from the old
> accounts so I thought it best to start with a clean /usr/home area.
> I changed home to homeold and created a new /usr/home folder.  I then rmuser
> all accounts and started over.  I created an account for myself and verified
> the /usr/home/<myacct> looked good.  IE All files in my home was assigned to
> my account name and my group name (username and group name is the same for
> now)

First: Kill sendmail! If you do not receive mail via sendmail then there is no
point in having it around at all. (make appropriate changes into /etc/rc.conf).

I suppose you have to manually make changes with vipw, and possibly /etc/groups.
This is a timeconsuming task, but can be done.

How the permissions changed I dont know, but this can also be corrected with
chmod and chown.

/M

> any help would be appreciated...once I get this resolved I can move on the
> myraid of other problems I seem to have developed within the last few days.
> for now just one fix at a time so I can get a handle on this.  But for the
> record here are the other problems I have in case they may be part of this.
>
> <dat/time> <hostname> sendmail[578]: eBJJSxf00578: forward
> /home/<user>.forward: Permission denied
>
> <dat/time> <hostname> sendmail[578]: eBJJSxf00578: SYSERR(root) hash map
> "Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases.db: No such file or directory
> (message similar to this before the reinstall stated something about
> dangerous global map I thiink....cant seem to find the older sytem messages
> anymore)
>
> <date/time> <hostname> sendmail[268]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR: putoutmsg (NO-HOST):
> error on output channel sending "454 4.8.8 fill_fd: before readcf: fd 1 not
> open: Bad file descriptor": Input/output error
>
> <date/time> <hostname> sendmail[268]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): fill_fd: before
> readcf: fd 1 not open: VBad file descriptor
>
> <date/time> <hostname> sendmail[268]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): fill_fd: before
> readcf: fd 2 not open: VBad file descriptor
>
> Thats all I can fine in the last 24 hours.  I can use all the help you can
> offer this time.  Spelling or syntax might be off since I transcribed all
> messages by hand because I am only root account works right now and it wont
> allow me to telnet to that login.
>
> Thanks
> Jason

Michael Josefsson, MSEE