Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 02:45:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG, Chad Shackley <chad@gaianet.net>
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Jim Dixon wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Veggy Vinny wrote:
>
> > > Nothing to be ashamed of.  Two of the largest networks in the world,
> > > IBM and ans.net, use UNIX-based routers running gated.
> >
> > 	Really?  I thought they used Cisco's or Cascade.
>
> No.  ans.net has two separate autonomous systems, one (AS690) using
> gated boxes and the other (just being implemented, I think), using
> Bay routers.

	Hmmm, okay.  Is Bay Routers the same as WellFleet?  That's what
we're using now and is probably the cause of this line on one of our
machines:

Nov 14 02:34:57 earth routed[57]: punt RTM_LOSING without gateway

> Both IBM and ANS are members of the gated consortium.

	Ah I see.

> > > Other problems: the logic for each port is on a small daughterboard.
> > > This is held in only by friction.  There is a device below one of the
> > > daughterboards -- the one for port 0, unfortunately -- that is too
> > > high (because it is socketed), so you can't get the daughterboard all
> > > the way in without causing it to bow.  Then over time it gradually works
> > > its way out.
> >
> > 	So it actually has physical problems that can be costly over time?
>
> The daughterboard works its way loose.

	oh okay but does it damage the circuit board in anyway?

> > 	Hmmm, I emailed Dennis at ET and the only problem we had was the
> > COD only policy for payment.
>
> I think that support at ET has improved considerably.  I could be wrong ;-)

	Oh that's good but is Dennis the only person at ET? ;-)

> > 	Hmmm, what are the differences between the two cards anyways?
>
> Nothing much, as far as I can see, in terms of functionality.  That is,
> they do the same job.

	Oh I see, so the features are pretty much identical?

> > We're gonna have either a Full T1 or a Frame Relay T1.  So the SDL card
> > doesn't support FR?
>
> There is no FreeBSD driver that handles frame relay.  It's not a problem
> with the card.  There _are_ BSD/OS and Linux drivers for SDL.

	Oh okay, so it's just a driver issue.  I guess the ET might be a
better option for us now.

> >                     As for the SDL, is the RiscSomething mentioned on the
> > ET homepage actually the SDL card?
>
> Oh, probably.  Dennis is given to slamming the opposition.  The full
> name of the dual-port card is the RISCom N2d.

	Yep, I knew I saw the Risc name somewhere <G>

Vince
GaiaNet Corporation - Unix Networking Operations - GUS Mailing Lists Admin