Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 03:11:40 +0100
From:      Adrian Wontroba <aw1@stade.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Q] How stable is FreeBSD 3.X ?

On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 02:10:23PM -0400, Spidey wrote:
> I don't understand why there's always someone coming up and saying
> something like "FreeBSD broke my fan" or "FBSD is unstable".

It can be. I had three boxes running -stable. Two freshly installed, and
very stable. Tbe other, with a more chequered history, wasn't. Certain
actions would usually panic it.

Setting up the kernel configuration from scratch, using GENERIC and LINT
as a base, fixed the instability for me. An action I believe Mike has
recommended more than once in the last couple of months.

So, the user error of misconfiguring your kernel can result in
instability.

--
Adrian Wontroba