Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 10:25:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        rdugaue@calweb.com (Robert Du Gaue)
Cc:        froden@bigblue.no, dcs@gns.com.br, isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Max users/max processes in FreeBSD??

> > >He is obviously confused by FreeBSD's "MAXUSERS > 64" warning.
> >
> > You're reading my mind :)
>
> So are we saying that is just what it is.  A 'warning', and the actual
> value is still taken? Why does it warn then? Are there some ramifications
> going over 64 that someone configuring a machine for heavy duty ISP stuff
> needs to know about???

It is certainly just a warning.  :-)

The ramifications of setting a higher number than 10 are that you probably
need more memory to support it...  if you try MAXUSERS 256 on a machine with
4MB, I doubt the kernel will even run, since it probably won't have enough
space to allocate its data structures.

Setting > 64 is often a mistake, and if it isn't a mistake in your case,
you are supposed to understand the reasons that you can safely ignore
the warning.

... JG