Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:16:02 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error: your port uses an old layout.  Please update it to matchthis  bsd.port.mk. - SOLVED

Brett Taylor wrote:

> Hi John
>
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 jdp@polstra.com wrote:
>
> > In article <Pine.BSF.4.21.0010151328140.9009-100000@peloton.runet.edu>,
> > Brett Taylor  <brett@peloton.runet.edu> wrote:
>
> > > with the following supfile for ports:
> > >
> > > *default release=cvs
> > > *default prefix=/usr
> > > *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> > > *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
> > > ports-all tag=.
> >
> > That all looks correct to me.  Do you remember exactly which empty
> > directories didn't get removed?
>
> I didn't do a complete check through as I figured out the problem pretty
> fast from watching -ports and looking at the new bsd.port.mk.
>
> I know at least one of them was png and it seems like plan was another.
>
> I should have done a closer check, but I knew what the problem was so I
> just fixed it wo/ thinking.  :-)

There is a generic remnant and they are all like

ruby# find . -name COMMENT -print
./archivers/pkg/COMMENT
./astro/pkg/COMMENT
./audio/pkg/COMMENT
./benchmarks/pkg/COMMENT
./biology/pkg/COMMENT
./cad/pkg/COMMENT
./chinese/pkg/COMMENT
./comms/pkg/COMMENT
./converters/pkg/COMMENT
./databases/pkg/COMMENT
./deskutils/pkg/COMMENT

This goes on for all of the categories.

FWIW, I hadn't done anything and png didn't have a pkg directory.

Kent

> > 1. Maybe you have a "refuse" file which is causing CVSup to ignore
> > the problem directories.
>
> The only things in my refuse file for ports are the non-English ports
> trees and plan9, so I don't think that's it.
>
> > 2. Maybe the directories really weren't empty -- i.e., they contained
> > file(s) named ".*" that didn't appear in the "ls" listing.  (Don't be
> > insulted, I'm just trying to explore all the possibilities! :-)
>
> No insult taken!  :-)  I did an ls -la thinking the same thing - that
> maybe I'd done a partial build, manually deleted the source and never done
> a "make clean" to clean up the .confiure_done/.patch_done and friends, but
> they truly were empty.
>
> > 3. It could be a bug in CVSup (of course).  But the code which handles
> > the directory removal is pretty straightforward.
>
> -shrug-  Maybe.  :-)
>
> Maybe others can give a fuller description of the problem directories -
> since I went and "fixed" my problem, it's hard to guess from my limited
> data.
>
> > Another possible explanation: CVSup only tries to remove a
> > possibly-empty directory immediately after it has deleted a file from
> > the directory.  If for any reason CVSup was unable to remove the
> > directory at the point in time when it "officially" became empty on
> > your system, then that's it -- it won't try again later.
>
> This sounds like a good possibility.
>
> In any case, I thought it was a pretty straightforward problem with an
> easy fix, but I guess others don't like reading bsd.port.mk.  :-)
>
> Thanks for your time and interest John - it's much appreciated (by me and
> I'm sure others).
>
> Brett

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA