Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 11:10:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        michaelv@MindBender.serv.net (Michael L. VanLoon)
Cc:        sckhoo@asiapac.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mail storage

> >        They want their intranet connect to my server couple of times
> >a day to receive and sending mail thro my connection to internet.
> >They will use my server space to store incoming mail and use the smtp
> >to send mail. BTW< multiple account in their LAN. This sounds like
> >uucp, right? Any other solution, do like to get uucp install if i can
> >avoid it.
> >        They are running M$ Exchange Server. What should i install in
> >my server site, preferably a FreeBSD machine.
>
> Exchange doesn't do UUCP.
>
> They probably just want you to run sendmail with a frequent retry.
> They could connect to you, dumping mail out, and your sendmail daemon
> should retry often enough to see that they are there and start dumping
> mail back to them.

Attempting to use frequent runs of the queue is not a good way to solve
this problem, it is non-predictable.

Better off to have sendmail sort mail destined to them into a seperate
/var/spool/mqueue.${DOMAIN}, then fire up a:

    sendmail -q -oQ/var/spool/mqueue.${DOMAIN}

This is a non-trivial thing to set up, and there are bits and pieces of
it described in the BAT book, look in the sections on fault tolerent and
holding someones mail for them until they come back on line.