Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 22:44:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   External Monitor on Dell Inspiron Fix (sorta)

If you are using an External monitor on a Dell Inspiron laptop with the
ATI Rage Mobility chip, then maybe this will help you.

The "ati" and "r128" drivers both, in the presence of an external monitor,
come up in limbo when X 4.03 starts up. Initially, there is nothing on
either the LCD or the external monitor .You have to hit the FN/LCD-CRT
keys 3 times to get the external monitor to work. Then, when you go to a
vty and try to go back to X, you have to do the whole thing all over
again. This was threatening to make me "battier" than I already am 8-).

I solved this by changing to the "vesa" driver.

While not ideal, it works. The laptop now comes up on the external
monitor and returns to X when you hit the F5 key, like it should (or F
however-many-vtys-u-have). If you are a gamer, the vesa driver does not
support 2D/3D, however 8-( .

Now, why does my parallel printer work fine on the parallel port on the
rear of the computer, but not on the one on the docking station?
Any Inspiron users fixed this one?

-Jim Durham