Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 23:06:52 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: timeout when formatting 9GB Barracuda, scsi errors is missing time

On Sun, Mar 01, 1998 at 01:21:48PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > DO NOT let this go.  If you do, that soft (ECC recoverable) error will
> > > likely turn into a hard error and you will lose the data.
> >
> > Ok, thanks ! But what's strange for me is, that I preformatted the
> > disk 12 hours ago ... And then this, hmmm ...
>
> Er, rule 1: Do not perform a SCSI format on a disk unless you
> absolutely *MUST*.  Disks are formatted at the factory under optimal
> conditions.  You can't reproduce those anywhere else.

This rule says
	a) You don't have optimal conditions like those in the factory
	b) the factory doesn't have the conditions that you have ...

So ... perhaps immediately jump to rule 2 ?!

> rule 2: If you have to perform a format, run the disk (properly cooled
> and mounted) for at least an hour before starting the format.  Failure
> to do this will almost certainly result in a poor format.

Ok, agreed, thanks for this tip.

> Also, your error is not uncommon; if the media has lost some retention
> it will be OK during the format, but hours later the data will be gone.

Ok, but who has optimal conditions, so I'd vote for doing a
preformat locally and because of things like transport and such.
Or ?

--
Andreas Klemm