Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 2002 07:10:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Sizemore <steve@Math.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/41817: pw groupshow doesn't include the login group

The following reply was made to PR misc/41817; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Steve Sizemore <steve@Math.Berkeley.EDU>
To: Juan Salaverria <rael@vectorstar.net>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, steve@ls.berkeley.edu
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 07:09:19 -0700

 Hi, Juan - thanks for the reply.

 On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 04:36:57AM -0300, Juan Salaverria wrote:
 > Hi, I'm not sure if this is a bug of the program, because this
 > behaviour is explained in the FreeBSD Handbook on the
 > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/users-groups.html
 > page (look at the "Example 8-8. Adding Somebody to a Group Using pw(8)"
 > entry)
 >
 > I sent an email to the maintainer a couple weeks ago, asking
 > about the nature of this problem, and I didn't get any response yet.
 >
 > If it's a bug, maybe I can submit a patch to take care of the initial
 > groups listed at the /etc/passwd file.

 I would maintain that it's a bug, either in pw, or in the man page.
 The man page doesn't mention the limitation pointed out in the
 Handbook. (I hadn't seen that section of the Handbook - thanks for
 pointing it out.) Displaying all of the members of a group is a useful
 function, which pw would fill if it performed according to the man
 page. I couldn't find any other system program which would do that.

 Of course, it's easy to write a program to do it, but why duplicate
 the function of an existing program? (Assuming that pw can actually
 be fixed easily to do that...)

 For me, it's not a critical problem, so I'm happy enough to wait
 for a response from the maintainer.

 Thanks.
 Steve
 --