Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 22:02:09 -0400
From:      "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hotmail question

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 07:51:38PM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> On Saturday 15 September 2001 16:46, Oscar Castaneda wrote:
> > does any body know if hotmail works based on freebsd? if so what version
> > might they use?
> >
> > in my perception, if it does run on freebsd, it goes to show how stable and
> > robust an os it is, under the heavy load i suspect they handle.
>
> If memory serves ...
> Prior to M$ buying hotmail, the service was running on a combination of FreeBSD
> and Solaris w/ qmail.  When M$ bought them, they tried to convert things to NT 4.

If you google for 'hotmail' and 'freebsd', you'll find a zdnet article
from June 18 about MS admitting that they are still using FreeBSD for
DNS hosting. Apparently, the MS engineers evaluated the load on those
machines and never even tried to put W2K on them.

Also, Ted Mittelstaedt claims in his book that Hotmail is still using
Sun for its backend servers. I know absolutely nothing about running a
web mail site, so I don't know what the backend servers do.

This was all an open secret prior to MS's confession. Ted describes
Hotmail's set up in his book, which was originally printed in December
2000.

Bob Hall
--
uname -a
FreeBSD sten.alder.net 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Tue Sep 18 23:17:39 E