Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 1995 12:17:04 +0059 (MET)
From:      Andreas Schulz <ats@g386bsd.first.gmd.de>
To:        hellis@domus.com (Hugh S. Ellis)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP stack for PCs

> While FreeBSD is really cool, I think I may get some resistance to converting
> all my users from DOS to FreeBSD.  Given that they may be running DOS, or
> worse, DOS + Novell, what is the best way to allow them to access my FreeBSD
> server?
>
> I have been told that there are some reasonable public domain TCP stacks for
> PCs running Windows.  Any recommendations as to what I should be looking for?
> Also, if I can tune up my firewall, I would like to get them running X.  Are
> there versions of X for MS-Windows  out there?  What is likely to be most
> compatible with my FreeBSD system?

There are many possibilities to do that.
What i like most in the moment is to use the trumpet software as the TCP/IP
stack for DOS/windows and use eudora as a mail program and qvtnet as a news
reader and for login/ftp connection. netscape is my choice as a WWW reader.
I don't know if this works well with novell. We don't have another network.
Only using DOS/WINDOWS on some PC's.
I have also read pegasus is a nice email package under windows.
Another option for the TCP/IP stack should also be PC/NFS from SUN or
a TCP/IP stack for windows from Microsoft.

	  ATS ( ats@first.gmd.de or ats@cs.tu-berlin.de )

Andreas Schulz  GMD-FIRST     12489  Berlin-Adlershof  Rudower Chaussee 5
Gebaeude 13.7   Tel: +49-30-6392-1856/+49-177-2134745    Germany/Europe