Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 22:40:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Christian Schneider <chrisse@schlund.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD ISP ML <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SMP on Compaq ProLiant 1850R

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Christian Schneider wrote:

> I build a customized kernel (FreeBSD 3.4) to enable SMP on a Compaq
> ProLiant 1850R with 2 Pentium III 500. I followed the instructions in the
> FreeBSD handbook and searched the newsgroups for further advice.
>
> But the SMP wonīt boot! It simply stopped booting when the root device is
> changed to the first partition of the RAID. The last 5 lines on the screen
> look like this:
>
> APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
> APIC_IO: routing 8254 via pin 2
> Waiting 15 secondes for SCSI devices to settle
> SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched
> changing root device to wd0s1a
>
> Thatīs it. I changed the OS Type via the SmartStart CD to UnixWare 7
> before I build the new kernel (found it in the newsgroups).
>
> I can restart the server via STRG+ALT+DEL. The screen shows:
>
> boot() requested ... <something><something>
>
> and rebooted. What is wrong with my config?
>
> Did anybody else use Compaq ProLiant 1850R servers?

I've done it with a Proliant 3000, which should have an almost
identical motherboard (the 1850 uses the same BIOS image, at least).
We have an 1850R as well, but it is running NT and only has a single
processor, so I couldn't test it out anyway.  The trick is to get
yourself into the Advanced system setup (CTRL+A at the main system
setup menu, IIRC) and set a system type which I don't remember now.
:-)  For some reason I was never able to do that when booting from the
SmartStart CD.  I happened to install FreeBSD previously without
putting the system partition on the boot disk, so I had to try it
using the floppy disks, which I believe worked.  I just remember
successfully booting an SMP kernel when I temporarily put a second
processor in the box and playing around with it for a while.  This was
a while back with FreeBSD 3.1 or 3.2.  You should check the mailing
list archives since I'm quite sure this has come up before.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )