Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:48:51 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   [off topic?] sgml/xml editor for docproj documents?

Sorry if this is off-topic.

I am going through the docproj documentation. I am fairly new to both
SGML/XML and everything seems to make sense to me right now.

My question goes to the following. As I do with HTML I can type the
tags myself:

<article></article>

etc.

However this becomes stressing after a while. So my question is:
is there any text editor that supports efficient SGML editing?
Right now I am thinking not only about syntax highlighting, but also
about auto-completion of tags based on a DTD (so you don't have to
type them fully), or perhaps auto-insertion of tags with certain key
combinations (perhaps the most used tags)?

What do people at doc@freebsd use for editing the handbook and other
articles? emacs? vi? other editors that I haven't heard of?

My question also arose because there is nothing mentioned on this
topic on the documentation on how to write documentation.

Thanks in advance for your help, and apologies if this is not on topic
for this list.

Fernan