Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 14:00:55 +0100
From:      Damian Hamill <damian@cablenet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi-homed - Load Balancing - No Single Point of Failure

Jim Dixon wrote:

> We use SDL cards, because at the time we evaluated them the SDL boards
> were better made than the ET boards.  That may have changed; Dennis's
> notion of customer relations hasn't ;-)

You just don't see the funny side Jim :-)

Put it this way, the bandwidth limiting function of the ET card would be
really useful in our situation.  If you could limit the bandwidth from
our network over your expensive links then you could give us an ethernet
connection in Telehouse for our purchased bandwidth with additional lots
of bandwidth across the LINX.  The result would be lots of happy
customers for me, which would improve my chances of staying in business
and thus remaining one of your customers. It would also be cheaper for
both of us because we wouldn't be using a high cost synch serial port.

If you were to forget your differences with Dennis (or even just forget
it's Dennis you are dealing with) and have another look at his products
then this would become a possibility.  I don't let personal
relationships get in the way of business so for me Dennis's 'sales
technique' :-) is far less important than the functionality of his
products.

> For reliability, use one such BSD router per link to the backbone.
> Our experience is that the routers themselves are disgustingly
> reliable if you don't fiddle around with the source code -- they
> simply don't fail.

Bummer I was going to put 2 links per machine (There are two ports on
the SDL card after all and I've bought the dual port option ET card).
Is that simply because if the machine bombs you lose two links as
opposed to one ?

regards
damian

--