Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 12:40:10 -0700
From:      David Holloway <davidhol@windriver.com>
To:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        Shadi Fazelian <sh_fazelian@yahoo.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: please hellllllllllllp me!

Answer straight from the manual:
Actually, the .snapshot directory in the mount point is "real" to make
the pwd command work, whereas the .snapshot directories in all other
directories are "magic"; that is, can be accessed when they are
referenced by name but do not show up in a directory listing.
.
.
.
If .snapshot were to show up in every directory, it would cause many
commands to work improperly. For instance, all recursive commands for
removing files would fail because everything below .snapshot is
read-only. Recursive copies would copy everything in the snapshots as
well as files in the active file system, and a find command would
generate a list much longer than expected.