Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 1997 21:27:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Nash <nash@Mcs.Net>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv 0.45

First, my apologies to the list.  Apparently running out of space on
/tmp while attempting to send a message from Netscape results in a
blank message being sent out.

Randall Hopper wrote:
> ....and thanks for the info.  If you apply the attached patch, I think
> it'll get you over that snag.  A piece of the video annotation code I
> added for 0.45 mistakenly "assumed" that the vidmode extension was there
> without checking "is it supported" variable first.  The attached patch
> remedies this oversight.

It worked like a charm.  Thanks for patching this so quickly!

>  |The card appears to work properly under Windows (after I yanked out my
>  |SMC network card :).  Also, I briefly had a version of fxtv 0.44 which
>  |would start up and display static, but could not be coaxed into
>  |displaying anything from my VCR.  I thought this might be a
>
> This I'm really not sure about.  I'm assuming you set inputFormat as
> desired.  The did you select "Video" from the Input menu?  Also try
> selecting the Tuner input, put fxtv on your VCR's control channel
> (2,3,4), and put the VCR's VCR/TV selection on VCR.  See if either of
> these gives you something better than static.

No luck :(  I've tried all combinations.  Regardless of the
antenna/cable setting, I get:

  - Blank video (all black) and static for audio when the input is set to
    tuner.

  - Blank video (all black) and no audio when the input is set to
    video or S-VHS.

I'm stumped.  The kernel appears to identify the card without a problem:

  bktr0 <BrookTree 848> rev 17 int a irq 9 on pci0:12
  Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Temic PAL tuner, dbx stereo.

I'm not adverse to debugging this at the driver level -- does anyone
have suggestions for a good starting point?

Alex