Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 19:36:17 +0800 (WST)
From:      lemonpie@tower.net.au
Subject:   conf/7481: FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE sysinstall segfaults on ftp install failure

>Number:         7481
>Category:       conf
>Synopsis:       FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE sysinstall segfaults on ftp install failure
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT i386
>Environment:

        Multiple platforms.  Both a 486 DX2 66 and a Pentium II 266

        (overclocked to 300).  I doubt hardware is relevant.

        The /stand/sysinstall on the FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE boot floppy contains

        a serious bug.  When the user attempts an ftp install, but the install

        fails becuase some files were missing and/or corrupt, and the user

        then tries to cancel installation of those distributions and continue

        to the post-install configuration, sysinstall catches a segv and dies.

>How-To-Repeat:

        Set up an FTP server on a LAN with an incomplete mirror of

        2.2.6-RELEASE.  Attempt an FTP installation from another machine on the

        LAN.  Be sure to select at least one incomplete or corrupt

        distribution.  The commit will fail, and, without telling you what

        went wrong, or what's going on, will dump you back to the "Select an

        FTP Site" menu to try to get the distribution elsewhere (presumably).

        If you now try to "Cancel" and complete the installation without the

        faulty distributions, sysinstall catches a segv and dies.

>Fix:

        I don't know how to fix sysinstall, since I'm unfamiliar with it.

        Just don't use FTP install.