Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 17:08:42 +0100 (MET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI card to choose

 > > Huh?  Adaptec give their drivers away with their hardware, just like
 > > everyone else.
 >
 > Not really.  You have to buy them if you want drivers for anything but
 > hard-disks, ie; CD-ROM support.

My Adaptecs (1542, 2940) came with those drivers (HD, CD-ROM,
even for removable media such as MO drives) and a bunch of
tools for partitioning, formatting and verifying drives, a
simple CD audio player, and other stuff I never needed.

Of course, the bulk versions of the adapters don't come with
those drivers -- that's why they're called "bulk".  Other
vendors have driver-less bulk versions of their products, too,
so this is not an Adaptec special.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18-61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany