Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 1995 09:45:43 +0800 (HKT)
From:      John Beukema <jbeukema@HK.Super.NET>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@cs.weber.edu>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: CVS stuff

On Tue, 17 Jan 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > What does siting message by number have to do with not citing message
> > > by English Message Text?  !a => b?  That's a logical fallacy.
> >
> > Because if you're trying to figure out what the !@#$%^ is wrong when
> > somebody complains, you need to know what the REAL message is.  You
> > can either put the messages in English, so that everybody understands,
> > or you can stick on message numbers.
>
> Maybe I can put it in all caps, with spaces between the letters, because
> E V E R Y O N E   U N D E R S T A N D S   E N G L I S H   I F   I T
> I S   S P O K E N   L O U D L Y   A N D   S L O W L Y   E N O U G H.
>
> Personally, I don't have any intrinsic objection to message numbers, if
> they are accompanied by text, if the intent is to index a catalog for
> a program maintainer.  I'm probably in a minority here, even though this
> is exactly what exit codes are.
>

> > > It makes no sense to be able to display Russian, for instance, if none
> > > of the data on the system is Russian text!
> >
> > If you want some Russian text, you go into your editor and generate
> > it.  I'm certain that Andrew has lots of Russian text.  This does not
> > mean that it is a good idea to have system programs printing out
> > messages in languages which are not understood by the program
> > maintainers.
>
> It's no skin off my nose, but, I just want to be perfectly clear on what's
> being said here, so that I don't misunderstand.
>

> There are several implied assumptions in your statements:
>
> 1)	The people having the problems will not be able to diagnose
> 	the problem from the error messages, even if they are in the
> 	user's native language (pretty shitty error messages, if you
> 	ask me).
>
> 2)	The people having the problems have some way of contacting
> 	and communicating with the authors about the problems they
> 	are having (Stahlman's "everyone will be on the net", a
> 	demonstration of the failure of modern academia to live in
> 	the real world, where software is distributed on CDROM to
> 	people who don't even own modems).
>

> Now, these have several correlaries:
>
> 1)	If Pierro, for instance, takes over maintenance of csh,
> 	then it is acceptable for an English spekear to type the
> 	command
>
> 		moose
>
> 	at a prompt, and instead of getting back the message
>
> 		moose: Command not found.
>
> 	he or she should get back the Italian equivalent, since it
> 	is more important that Pierro be able to resolve the problem
> 	for the person instead of the person being able to resolve
> 	the problem themselves.  Same thing for:
>
> 		moose: bus error, core dumped.
>

> 2)	If Andrew or some other Russian language speaker takes over
> 	maintenance of getty, then it's OK to see a KOI-8 version of:
>
> 		Login incorrect
>
> 	When most users are probably running ISO8859-1 fonts anyway,
> 	since as the maintainer he should be able to understand when a
> 	user is providing an invalid login/password so he can tell them,
> [...]
It would make life a great deal easier for those of us overseas if the
English string messages could be isolated in a string table.  Source code
could be commented and/or meaningful int #defines provided for debugging
(#define 11 BUSERR_COREDMP. err_msg[11] = "Bus err core dumped")
The set of English strings could be translated by anyone wishinbg to
internationalize a version just by setting an alternate string table.
Messages could be improved (in any language) by updating the string table.

jbeukema