Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 03:00:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/14095: Cosmetic changes to whois(1)

The following reply was made to PR bin/14095; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>
To: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 22:57:51 +1300

 On Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 11:54:19AM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

 > On Sun, 03 Oct 1999 12:56:27 +1300, Joe Abley wrote:
 >
 > > 1. Added -m option, which selects whois.ra.net as the whois server.
 >
 > If this doesn't achieve anything other than ``-h whois.ra.net'', I
 > wouldn't add it.

 Why were -r, -p, -a and -R added, in that case? I notice particularly
 that -R is a recent addition.

 > > 2. Added -q option, which constructs a whois server to use based on
 > > the TLD of the (single) argument, with ".whois-servers.net" appended.
 > > The whois-servers.net zone is run by the people at ultradns.com.
 > > This allows, for example, queries like
 >
 > I'd use something other than -q. Presumably you chose -q for "query",
 > but that's pretty general, given the scope of the propgram. :-)  The -q
 > option is often used for quiet. How about -n or -z?

 I used q for "quick" in the sense that you don't need to think about
 which whois server you're using. Since Theo rolled this patch straight
 into OpenBSD, it also now has the attraction of being consistent
 with another OS :)

 Joe