Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 11:51:37 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OK, so what would YOU like to see on that second CD?

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:

> I'm talking about the Walnut Creek CDROM distribution, of course, and
> I'm starting to feel like my little "live CD" idea hasn't really
> turned out to be such a big hit.  Most people aren't even sure how and
> when to use it, just judging by the emails I get, and those that do
> know what it's for report that they've used it oh, maybe once.  I
> myself must confess to having used my copy of disk #2 only once, and
> that was only to rescue myself by grabbing a copy of ld.so off of it. :-)

I've used it for md5'ing stuff that might have been corrupted, but I
agree that it's not necessarily a great winner.

> So the question then naturally arises as to whether this second CD
> might not be more usefully populated by something else..  A Lite2
> tree?  A copy of Slackware 3.0?  The complete "naughty jpeg"
> collection from ftp.penet.fi?  Just what would you folks like to see? :-)

Two seperate distributions : A single disk for -RELEASEs as before.
(Perhaps when the ports/packages get too big, farm them off onto a second
disk), and a 'developers supplement' disk, with the 'experimental' stuff,
the CVS tree and anything else relevant.

So say the 96q2 FreeBSD developer CD might have the CVS tree at its cut
date, the latest patches to TWIN, the current PnP spec, a copy of the
latest SCSI draft, the newest gcc/etc, current 'ccd' driver... stuff
that's relevant to people working on/around FreeBSD, but not to the
average user.

It'd also get that stuff out of the -RELEASE distributions and keep WC's
costs down, which would be a Good Thing too.  (Those of us with any
sense see WC as the good guys 8)

I think 4 a year would not be unreasonable - I'd certainly subscribe if the
price was around the same as that of the current -RELEASE subscription.