Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:08:02 -0800
From:      Kurtis Smith <ksscendyn@yahoo.com>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with bootup

HI Rick,

While the system is booting, you'll see a message that says "Press Enter
to boot right away or any key for ...
The system will then start counting down from 9.  Do not press ENTER ..
hit any other key than that one before it reaches 0.
Then you'll get a prompt, enter "boot -s" which will boot the system
in single-user mode (sort of like "safe" mode on Windows)
You'll be asked for a shell (I always accept the default)
then thrown into a shell prompt. From there you'll be able to repair
your rc.conf file and reboot the system.

-Kurt