Date:      30 Dec 2002 13:06:44 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        KH <KHaeberlein@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems starting gnome

On Mon, 2002-12-30 at 12:53, KH wrote:
> Thanks for your prompt reply.
>

> The problem with the localhost is solved.
>
> But starting GNOME as an ordinary user is still the same.
> One thing is that I get an error message
> "/tmp/ICE-unix/..../tmp/.sawfish-user    PERMISION DENINED"

Try deleting all the files in /tmp, and make sure /tmp's permissions are
7777.

> There are also some differences in the home directories. root has the
> following files subdirectories which are missing in the user
> directory:
> subdirectories:    .emacs.d; .gconf; .gnome-desktop
> files :                   .nautilus
>
> user instead has a bunch of  "*.core" files like nautilus.core

The GNOME files and directories won't be created until things
successfully startup.  Based on the information provided, I cannot
determine exactly why you're having problems, but permissions are the
first thing I would check.

Joe