Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2023 06:42:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      freebsd@oldach.net (Helge Oldach)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lang/perl5.36: update procedure written in UPDATING is not enough

Tatsuki Makino wrote on Sun, 22 Oct 2023 00:50:44 +0200 (CEST):
> Most of *.pm files installed in /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/mach/5.36/ use DynaLoader, so most ports that install it have a library linked to libperl.so.5.36.

Actually only a fraction of perl ports requires libperl.so. For example
one of my machines:

# pkg shlib -qR libperl.so.5.36 | wc -l
      35
# pkg files | fgrep mach/5.36 | sed s/\ .*// | uniq | wc -l
     128
#

> Ports that are not targeted for updating in this procedure, but need to be reinstalled, seem to create a file named .packlist in /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/mach/5.36/ directory.

Indeed, but that's not covered by the 20181213 procedure at all. Which
is why this thread rightfully started.

> Reinstalling all p5-* ports is slight but overkill.

Yes - but it's rather cheap to reinstall such ports, as in many cases
"installing" is just mungling text and moving files around.

The point I was trying to make is that p5-* is not even comprehensive,
as some ports don't have a name starting with p5-. The thing is that
such ports' files may need to be moved from site_perl/mach/5.34
to site_perl/mach/5.36 still. Likewise to clean up the legacy left in
site_perl/mach/5.34.

Kind regards
Helge