Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 19:00:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas Arnold <tom@inna.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>, ulf@Lamb.net, dennis@etinc.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about Cisco 2503i price

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > > Case+powersupply $75 (man, these are expensive compared to .de)
> >
> > What!?  My _nice_ Enlight cases cost $65.  I can get tin cans for $35.
>
> And the power supply in your Enlight cases has an MTBF of approx 5,000
> hours, or about 6 months continous use.  The one in the $35.00 tin cans
> are about the same.  The failure mode is usually the fan bushing goes
> out (no one selling power supplies for <$40.00 uses a ball bearing fan.)

I've seen then VERY often from people.  The Enlight cases use Ball Bearing
fans, but ALSO, you can buy Ball Bearing fans for around $5.00 at shows
and take the 5 minutes to swap them out.  I got cases for my BSD boxes
from a company called American ProImage.  They were REAL expensive ( $165
each ) but have swing-open doors, slide out drive cages, and 300watt
MilSpec power supplies that are chunkier then in a Sun.

Anyone prices a replacement cooling fan from Cisco for a 3000 series (
$200+ ) or 2501 series ( $75+ ).  Of course, at least in the case of the
3000 series you can get a generic replacement ( same manufacturer but
without Cisco plug ) for $29.

     : Tom Arnold - No relation to Rosanne           :
     : SysAdmin/Pres - TBI, Ltd ( inna.net )         :
     : An ISP serving the Virginia Middle Peninsula  :