Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 11:35:01 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, alk@pobox.com, gary@eyelab.psy.msu.edu, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to talk to dialups

At 05:14 PM 9/29/99 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:

>"He who would trade liberty for security, deserves neither."
>                                                 -- Benjamin Franklin

The correct quote is:

deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

The use of port 25 is not "essential" so long as a mail server is
provided, nor is it "essential" to be able to receive e-mail sent directly
from other ISPs' dial-ins. Freedom from spam brings INCREASED liberty, not
less. It makes life more productive and pleasant, and assures that ISPs'
resources aren't abused, which is a very good thing, IMHO. Your mileage
may vary, of course.

>Not to mention that they will become inoperational in the face
>of IPv6 stateless autoconfiguration.  What will you do then?

I haven't looked into the issue of what IPv6 might mean to the DUL or
RBL. However, I'm sure that Paul Vixie is. (I wouldn't mind learning
more about the topic myself, as I certainly don't want to give up either
facility when I move to IPv6.)

--Brett Glass