Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 09:11:59 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        marcus@miami.edu (Joe "Marcus" Clarke)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP and SCSI problems in 3.2

Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke wrote...
> Recently, we installed 3.2-RELEASE on our primary Computer Science server,
> and began to see some severe errors when trying to do intensive (i.e.
> dump/restore) disk operations to any of our SCSI-attached disks.  The
> errors we are getting are as follows:
>
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): SCB 0x29 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1,
> SEQADDR ==
> 0x8
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Queuing a BDR SCB
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Bus Device Reset Message Sent
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): no longer in timeout, status = 34c
> ahc0: Bus Devices Reset on A:0.  3 SCBs aborted
>
> Disabling SMP seems to clear up some of this, but we were hoping to get
> SMP and SCSI working together.  Our SCSI card is an Adaptec 2940UW2.
> Attached is the kernel config file in use.  If this seems like a
> termination problem, we're doubting it since we had this working with an
> early version of 3.0-SNAP with CAM.

What kind of drives do you have in the system?  Can you send dmesg output
from the machine?

The timed out while idle messages mean that a read or write command from
the da driver timed out.  Since the timeout is 60 seconds, this generally
indicates a drive problem of some sort.  (could be bad firmware)

There are some disks that are known to cause problems, so the dmesg might
help us determine the problem.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry