Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:15:15 +0300
From:      Ville =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Skytt=E4?= <scop@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-cvsweb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsweb will not work like before :(

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 23:54, Claudiu Costin wrote:

>   From the day when out Chris Molnar upgraded the KDE webcvs
> http://webcvs.kde.org/ links from the pages with statistics
> ceased to work. No problem here. But when tried to put the
> links in the new form I found that it's imposible to fetch
> the last file revision from a branch
> (i.e. KDE_3_3_BRANCH) whithout knowing it's revision in advance.

Hm, you're right.  This is not possible with the current version of
FreeBSD-CVSweb.

>   1) If exists a solution with actual webcvs code,
> could you webcvs masters can tell me how the URL will look's like?
>
> For example in my PHP script I have the following printf() like string
> variable:
>   $cvswebformat2="http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/kde-i18n/%s?rev=%s&content-type=text/plain";
> where first "%s" is like fr/kdeadmin/kcron.po, and second "%s" is branch
> like KDE_3_3_BRANCH or HEAD.

I think it would make sense to implement this with an URL like:
  .../~checkout~/.../%s?rev=.&content-type=...&only_with_tag=%s
ie. extend the existing magic "." revision so that it would honor the
only_with_tag parameter, if present.  (Currently, "." works only with
the default branch.)

How did the "working" URLs look like in your old cvsweb?

>   2) If it's not posible (i.e. it's a misfeature), could you
> provide us (KDE project) a patch to fix this annoiance?

I'll have a look, it should not be too hard to implement this.  I've got
a few semi-related TODOs anyway.