Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:01:47 -0500
From:      <crzdgns1@starpower.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Where can I find more information

Hello,

My name is Mark.  I recently banished windows and
windows-based programs from my (ancient) computer because it
is too slow to handle windows XP and all of the attendant
programs required to keep it virus and ad-free.  I have
installed FreeBSD-5.3-RELEASE on my computer (Intel Pentium
II Celeron, 330 MHz, ~500 Mb Ram, Western Digital Hard Disk
(40 Gb, Master), Western Digital Hard Disk (6 Gb, Slave),
floppy disk (1.44 Mb), IOMega ZIP-Drive (100Mb, IDE), Hitachi
CD/DVD-ROM, Memorex CD-RW, Diamond Multimedia Viper v550
video card, and a few other ancient goodies).  I am having
great difficulty mounting and unmounting floppies, zips, and
CDs from my system.  I have done my best to follow the
recommendations in The Handbook, The FreeBSD FAQ, and the
documentation that came bundled with FreeBSD-5.3-RELEASE, all
to no avail.  I have also searched the archives that I could
find using the queries "mount" and "unmount", but didn't find
anything that seemed to fit.  I have no trouble mounting and
unmounting CDs if I use the device manager in KDE, but have
had no luck trying to do the same from the command line.  Can
someone out there recommend additional, better, or
easier-to-understand sources of information for someone who
is essentially a complete beginner in UNIX and FreeBSD?
Alternatively, if I were to post a technical question to a
mailing list, which mailing list would be appropriate?

Thanks

Mark