Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 00:28:36 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Frank Warren" <clovis@home.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unix vs unix-like and unix-type

>Ah, they have eyes, but they do not see.  What amazes me, coming here
>from the PC world, is how ignorant UNIX types are outside of their own
>world.

Well, I also come from the DOS/Windows world, so I'm here to prove that PC
folks can be pretty ignorant, too :-)  I appreciate you're nuts-and-bolts
history of the MS-landscape. There's a lot here that I did not know.

>Less stable?  Since when has ANYTHING coming from Microsoft been stable?

Well, true. The Microsoft y2k database lists Win98 as being y2k compliant.
Lo-and-behold, the Windows Update site now has a y2k patch for Win98.

>The folks at Microsoft, the line programmers, are nice and reasonable
>people.  The evil at Microsoft comes from the top down.

It's too bad the MS higher-ups are so concerned about maintaining sales by
continuously adding new features to their products. They'd probably sell
twice as much software if in the next version they simply optimized what
they already had.

>Microsoft panders mediocrity at all levels.  They are after profit and
>control, not excellence and liberty.  Their reputation for slow,
>bloated, faulty and ugly code is their reward.

This is the sad part. As Dick Cavett once said: "As long as people will
accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it."

--Dan

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever.
                                                --Anonymous