Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:09:00 -0700
From:      Appleman <appleman@shaw.ca>
To:        freebsd-config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation completes, mount fails on boot

I have completed the install of 4.9 on a 30GB hard drive, no other OS,
disk is dedicated to FreeBSD, used auto defaults for slices and
partitions.

Once I do the first reboot I get the following:

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
swapon: adding /dev/ad0s1b as swap device
Automatic boot in progress...

Then I get all the slice (ad0s1a,f,g,e) messages with "FILESYSTEM
CLEAN: SKIPPING CHECKS", then the problem starts:

pid 17 (mount), uid 0: exited on signal 10
Bus error
Mounting /etc/fstab filesystems failed, startup aborted

Then it just asks me the path of a shell.

Bus error leads me to believe it is hardware, but I am not sure of
that, it's a brand new motherboard, and if the install completes, how
all of a sudden is there a bus error??

My /etc/fstab seems ok.

# Device Mountpoint FStype Options Dump Pass#
/dev/ad0s1b none swap sw 0 0
/dev/ad0s1a / ufs rw 1 1
/dev/ad0s1f /tmp ufs rw 2 2
/dev/ad0s1g /usr ufs rw 2 2
/dev/ad0s1e /var ufs rw 2 2
/dev/acd0c /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto
0 0
proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

Even if I boot into single user mode and type any sort of mount command
I get:

pid 11 (mount), uid 0: exited on signal 10
Bus error

Thanks for any help!