Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 18:56:26 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
Cc:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, FreeBSD Documentation Project <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Style Challenge!

[your mailer seems to be doing funny things with the cc: list]

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, John Baldwin wrote:

> >> That's how formal English specifies sentence endings and is how the
> >> rest of the documentation is.
> >>

> > Really? Most of printed books definately don't follow that rule then.
> > Or online texts/documents for that matter.
>
> That's how it is in source form (the DocBook for example), the style
> sheets that output text may not follow that convention at the moment
> however.  HTML for instance, compresses multiple spaces into a single
> space unless you explicitly use &nbsp;.

Then take a look at the sgml source and discover that apparently, there is
no rule how many spaces (one or two) you put after the period.

And if they get always compressed by the styles sheets anyways, why
bother at all?

> > What about translations into languages that are different?
>
> That is up to the translation teams.  I have not look at the other
> language's sources in enough detail to know if they use single space or
> double space after sentences.  Presumably they follow the grammar of
> their respective language.

Presently the translators are just as chaotic as the main sources.