Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2016 07:49:07 +0100
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-ppc@dino.sk>
To:        Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routerboard kernel config?

On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 15:03:26 -0500
Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Milan Obuch <freebsd-ppc@dino.sk>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > has anybody working kernel on some of powerpc routerboard?
> >
> > I need one for RB600 and one for RB1000. I am able to load kernel
> > from ethernet, but that's it. I found nothing relevant via google,
> > but there was something mentioned on this list some day. I saw
> > announcement mentioning powerpcspe, but I did not find there kernel
> > config intended for some routerboard.
> >
> > Any help/pointers appreciated.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Milan
>
> The RB600 likely won't work, it uses a e300 core, which we don't
> fully support.

Thanks, how much work would that mean? I found there is support for
RB600A in OpenBSD, and following relevant part of document at
http://ftp.vim.org/OpenBSD/5.8/socppc/INSTALL.socppc I was able to
install it there. So maybe it could be adopted, I just have no idea
what is to be look for there.

> The RB1000 should work with the MPC85XX kernel config.

It boots, just rootfs over nfs is not mounted, as I already reported in
message dated Sun, 6 Jul 2014 09:50:35 +0200 with title 'MPC8548
question' on this list.

> The powerpcspe port isn't yet in head, it's in a project branch
> (projects/powerpcspe), in which you would simply change the "machine
> powerpc powerpc" line to "machine powerpc powerpcspe", and build with
> "make buildworld buildkernel TARGET=powerpc TARGET_ARCH=powerpcspe
> KERNCONF=MPC85XX"
>
> My tests for powerpcspe were done on a RB800, netbooting.

I did 'svn checkout', so I am able to build new kernel/userland from
your port. I plan to test it, it should be newer as what I already have
(FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r268286M: Thu Jul 10 15:42:00 CEST 2014 - a
bit outdated). Maybe it will be a bit better...

Regards,
Milan