Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 1996 16:24:21 +0200
From:      Beck Peccoz Amedeo <gea@masternet.it>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ahc sincing questions

Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> > While starting up the kernel with the -v option the ahc driver
> >reports the sinc speed for any attached scsi device in MHz.
> >Shouldn't be in Mbytes/s?
>
> MHz is correct.  The sync rate is a measure of the clock rate at
> which data is transfered.  Only when you multiply that by the bus
> width, do you get MBytes/s.

 Ok, I see.

> > Why I see no difference when enable the ultra speed? My HD can
> >sinc at 20 Mbytes/s, but it actually sincs only at 10... what's
> >wrong?
>
> If you have a Wide drive, it does 10Mhz sync on a 16bit bus.  If you
> have an 8bit device, it must do 20Mhz sync in order to do 20MB/s.
> What is your drive model?  The only Ultra drive I know of on the market
> is a Seagate one, and the person who tried it said it refused to negotiate
> 20Mhz sync (looking from a SCSI bus analyzer) and that it was the device's
> fault and not the driver's.

 I've got a Seagate wide HD (ST32550W) acceptinc max sync transfer
rate of 20 Mbytes/s (i.e. 10MHz). If I set the ultra speed on the adapter
(20MHz or 40Mb/s) it still syncs at 10MHz. So far so good.
 A problem arises when I run a benchmark, a very silly one, that does
only read a big unfragmented file, as I get a transfer rate of only 7.4
Mb/s, while I read of a test on the same drive/adapter leading to a transfer
rate of 16Mb/s, more than twice.
 It seems that the HD only negotiates at 10Mb/s, and as the ahc reports
10MHz either one of theese value is wrong or the wide channel is
only used as a normal 8 bit one.

--

Beck-Peccoz Amedeo
GEA Software S.r.l.

Tel. ++39-125-366302 Fax. ++39-125-366415