Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 08:50:43 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic in FFS/4.0 as of yesterday - update

Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:
>Would the problem manifest itself under increasing load? One thing I'm
>mulling doing is to try and move forward musbus or it's equivalent

MUSBUS is now quite old - I believe it was developed around 1981.  I
have a paper Ken McDonell presented at AUUG'91 when he discussed some
of its shortcomings at that time [and there are probably more now].

I've also heard him state (possibly during that presentation) that
MUSBUS was designed to benchmark systems around 1 MIPS (ie a VAX
11/780), and results obtained on a `current' (ie 5-10 years old now)
system probably reflect bottlenecks in MUSBUS, rather than the system
under test.

[Note that a later developent of MUSBUS - KENBUS - formed part of the
SPEC's SDM (System Developent Multitasking) 1.x benchmark suite].

Peter