Date:      04 Dec 2001 19:36:23 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Link to book/book.html from book/index.html?

Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp> writes:

> How about generating index.html from {article,book}.sgml as default
> (with {article,book}.html for backward compatibility)?

I don't understand that.  Are you worried about the case where an
index.html file is made, but an {article,book}.html is not?  And you
propose always making the latter when the former is made?

I'll be looking into the SGML/make scene, but as I currently
understand it, the makefile can set some kind of low-level SGML
entity thing, depending on what formats are asked for, so index.html
can be made with the new text only when it makes sense.

Your suggestion (as I interpreted it) is certainly easier, but I think
I'll keep it in my back pocket and re-ask it here if I don't determine
how to do the more complex thing.

Thanks.

P.S.  I hope the complexity of the SGML/make system is worth, in saved
effort, consistancy, etc., all the efforts of people it discourages from
participating in documentation.  I wonder if it wouldn't be better to
have a wiki-wiki (http://c2.com/cgi-bin/wiki) type documentation system
lots of people would learn in an hour and hack on and which a few people
would moderate.  The quality would suffer, but the quantity might be
greatly improved (and I"m not so sure about the quality either --
there's some quite good stuff on the wikis I've seen).  If some project
wanted to copy content to a more formal document, they'd be free to do
that, maybe copyright-protecting their work to get paid for their tedium.