Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 20:44:48 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just purchased a bt848 based "Turbo TV" card.

Jordan K. Hubbard:
 |They're selling for $99 at Fry's Electronics in Palo Alto, CA.
 |so I deemed it prudent to pick one up so that we could test it.

I was noticing them at Fry's (in Dallas) this past weekend myself :-)

 |Perhaps the unit I got is merely defective, but I'm totally unable to
 |get it to see output from my VCR, set to broadcast on channel 3.
 |Under fxtv I at least get what looks like noise, under Win95 I just
 |get a solid blue screen and no indication that the unit is receiving
 |any signal.  I've also tested the cable, of course, and my TV has no

Sorry I'm a few days late chiming in on this thread -- been on vacation
down South.

I had similar trouble getting one of the newer Hauppauge NTSC Win/TV cards
working on my brother's box over the weekend.  Turns out that its tuner
(Philips FI1236 MK2) actually was supported by the bt848 driver, but not
auto-detected correctly (the driver thought it was a Temic PAL).  The
misconfigured tuner of course resulted in a buzzing static mess.

Anyway, to find out the tuner type, this worked for me.  Look up the
property details on the card in MSW95 (something like
Start..Settings..Control Panel..System..Device Manager..Multimedia
Devices..<Card>..Properties..  Details....<flip tabs>).  For the Hauppauge
cards at least, the exact tuner name is listed on the tabs along with H/W
version, supported signal formats, etc. etc.

Then see if the tuner is one of those in the driver list (in brooktree848.c):

     /* indexes into tuners[] */
     #define NO_TUNER                0
     #define TEMIC_NTSC              1
     #define TEMIC_PAL               2
     #define TEMIC_SECAM             3
     #define PHILIPS_NTSC            4
     #define PHILIPS_PAL             5
     #define PHILIPS_SECAM           6
     #define TEMIC_PALI              7
     #define PHILIPS_PALI            8
     #define PHILIPS_FR1236_NTSC     9

If you're lucky, then just add to your kernel conf.  E.g.:

     # #define PHILIPS_FR1236_NTSC     9
     options OVERRIDE_TUNER=9

 |Also, how are people hooking up the audio on their cards?  On this
 |one, at least, the supplied cables are for Macintosh only and I'm
 |getting the sneaking suspicion that one uses the audio output jack to
 |loop the signal back into one's audio card line-in jack - is that what
 |fxtv expects to happen?

That's basically it.  There's an outstanding request from a few folks to
make the input channel configurable (Line-In, CD-In) for those that choose
to wire-up internally, and also to make the mixer configurable as well (for
those that have multiple soundcards).

These will probably be in Fxtv 0.47, but for now (0.46), the Line Input
channel on /dev/mixer is what's tweaked.  I guess just grab xmix or another
mixer for now and tweak directly, ignoring the volume and mute controls in
Fxtv.

Randall