Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 05:06:55 +1000
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hardware-advice requested: cables

At 04:55 12/10/2001, P. U. (Uli) Kruppa wrote:
>The problem is that fast-ethernet cables seem to be very
>sensitive. They break as soon as one looks too hard
>at them. Not to say what would happen, when our
>pupils/students tried to plug them themselves.
>What sort of cables/plugs can we use for this purpose?

I've never noticed Cat5 cable being this touchy ... make sure you are using
the right connector for the cable, since stranded cable requires a
different connector to solid core cable.

Cat5 is probably the most robust kind of cableing around for these speeds
... think yoursef lucky that you aren't using fibre :)

>What does this have to do with FreeBSD?
>Now, our chief-administrator allowed me a 5Gig-partition on
>each Win2k-machine to "play around" with some kind of UNIX
>(registered trademark  :-) ) . And perhaps I am allowed a
>samba-server one day...
>But first I have to get this project working.

Good luck :)
Rob

--
A sweater is a garment worn by a child when his mother feels chilly.

This is random quote 98 of a collection of 1164