Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 06:12:04 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>, Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New prototype for the FreeBSD homepage

On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 01:28:34PM +0100, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
> Thanks for the patch, I put it at
>
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/~wosch/data/index4.html
>
> and a version without the <center> tag
> (no white space on the left hand side of the screen)
>
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/~wosch/data/index4c.html

index4c.html works better for me after I removed "width=500".

The links to other pages are very good, and lend themselves to altering
if necessary later on. I especially like the idea of mentioning the site
map and putting the search form right on the first page.

There is another link that I'm thinking should be there but it'll take
some more planning and another web page. We have some visitors who are
so sure about what they (think they) have to do, that no hints to the
contrary will alter their expectations:

  I have to download a file, probably called freebsd.zip, probably
  a couple of megabytes, and then unzip it and run freebsd.exe or
  setup.exe to see what this program looks like. Then I'll understand
  what FreeBSD is.
  My problem is that I can't find any freebsd*.zip, and whenever I
  follow a link to download it, I only get misdirected to the instructions
  for installing it. They're no use to me, and won't make sense until I
  have performed the first correct step: download the freebsd file.
  That file will probably contain the same instructions anyway,
  something like readme.doc or install.doc that I can read after
  I log off and unzip the file.

We need a link that will read to them like what they're looking for,
something they see as equivalent to "Download freebsd.zip", linking to a
file that explains what FreeBSD is in *their* terms, not ours, that
explains what an operating system is to someone who does not have that
concept at all, and is very clear about what and how much would need to
be downloaded if that method is chosen.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-