Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2002 20:50:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Paul Halliday <dp@dove.penix.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, David Richardson <DRichardson@interbaun.com>, <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Alpha fresh install problems

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 02:56:35PM -0500, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> >
> > David Richardson writes:
> >
> >  >
> >  > Can anyone here answer the questions I had?  I didn't find anything when
> >  > I was searching the archives.
> >
> > Sounds newer versions of  the boot loader are broken on old hardware
> > like yours.
>
> I'm pretty sure (99%) that I tested 4.7 boot from CD on the AS200/233 at
> work. That worked fine. I did not test floppy booting at all (ENOTIME)

The iso is fine, I installed it this morning. And it is happily running X
while i send this. HEY!! and sound works, when did you folks fix that?

Not that it matters but on your hardware.html, the pcm line shows irq 9.
Using this effectively locks up my box. Pci vid is sitting on 9. for the
record 10 will work too ;)

> > I'd try minimally installing an older release (4.5, 4.6) and see if
> > that works.  If so, then do a binary upgrade to 4.7, but save your
> > working 4.5 or 4.6 bootloader and copy it back into place before the
> > installer reboots the system.
> >
> > Drew

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-alpha" in the body of the message
> ---end of quoted text---
>
> --
> |   / o / /_  _   				wilko@FreeBSD.org
> |/|/ / / /(  (_)  Bulte				Arnhem, the Netherlands

Paul Halliday.
http://dp.penix.org