Date:      Sat, 24 Sep 2005 13:27:31 +1000
From:      Michael Vince <michael@roq.com>
To:        anon anon <anonymous_messiah@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wireless card recommendation for laptop

I bought the Netgear WG511T because it said 'Atheros' on the box and it
couldn't of worked out as a better card for me.
It was my first time using wireless and I was setup on my newly setup
wireless access point not much less then a minute on FreeBSD 6 with this
card.
I simply followed the instructions for the FreeBSD 6 wireless handbook
and I was on.

http://www.freebsdmall.com/~loader/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/wireless/article.html

The only difference I did between what is said here is I loaded all the
kernel drviers as modules only instead of compiling them into the kernel.
I set it up using the latest WPA encryption mode and had it all
automagicly working with DHCP as well using the ifconfig_ath0="DHCP WPA"
setting in rc.conf

Yeah the older WEP encryption worked for me as well but it didn't work
using it via dhcp for some reason I have had to manually set it via
ifconfig command and set a route.

Cheers,
Mike