Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 1997 01:28:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh>
To:        andrew@ugh.net.au, jkh, freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: misc/2348

Synopsis: sysinstall: corrupt file causes restart

State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
State-Changed-By: jkh
State-Changed-When: Wed Jan 1 01:26:03 PST 1997
State-Changed-Why:
I'm afraid that this isn't a bug so much as a pre-requisite of
sysinstall - you either have good media or you're hosed, and with
the way the tarballs are split into pieces, simply skipping one
really isn't an option.  If one piece is bad, the whole distribution
is effectively toast and there's really not a lot I can do about it.

This will all be solved as a side-effect of going to a more robust
distribution archive format, so there's not much point in leaving
this PR open as it won't be solved by fixing sysinstall in that
way (sorry).

There's been talking of reviving the automated checksumming, which would
at least verify the media before starting.  I will look into this.